PLEASE READ - COVID-19 EMERGENCY PLAN
WELCOME TO LOWNDES COUNTY PROBATE COURT
Lowndes County Probate Court is here to serve the citizens in an effective, efficient, impartial and professional manner, and to perform the duties assigned to the Court under the Constitution and the laws of Georgia. The Lowndes County Probate Court is a Court of record with exclusive jurisdiction over Estates, Guardianships and Conservatorships of Incapacitated Adults, Temporary Guardianships of Minors, Conservatorships of Minors, Commitments to Involuntary Evaluation and Treatment for Mental Health and/or Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Involuntary Commitments, Issuance of Georgia Weapons Carry License, and Issuance of Marriage Licenses. Probate Court also perform numerous and other varied duties.
This Court does not handle traffic, election, vital records or game and fish law violation cases. Lowndes County State Court handles traffic cases and game and fish law violations. Lowndes County Board of Elections handle elections, and vital records are handled through the Lowndes County Health Department.
- Decedent’s Estates - Probate of Wills, Administration of Estates, Etc.
- Guardianships and Conservatorships of Minors and Incapacitated Adults
- Involuntary Intervention - Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- Issuance of a Georgia Weapons Carry License
- How to obtain a Georgia Weapons Carry License Form (PDF)
- Issuance of Fireworks Permits
- Issuance of Marriage License
- AS OF JULY 1, 2019: YOU MUST BE 17 YEARS OF AGE TO OBTAIN A MARRIAGE LICENSE IN GEORGIA
- Please READ THIS ENTIRE PARAGRAPH, THEN begin the marriage license process. You may print the attached documents, complete, and submit to Lowndes County Probate Court for issuance of your marriage license. Both Applicants must be present to submit the marriage application.
- How to obtain a Marriage License (PDF)
- Marriage Application
- Affidavit of Underage Marriage Applicant
- Premarital Education Certificate
- Marriage License Request Form (PDF)
- CLICK HERE to request certified copy of marriage license online
- Issuance of Veterans’ Business Licenses
- Occasional Limited Amendments on Birth Records
- Review of Accountings, Inventories for Guardianships and Estates
Georgia Probate Forms
Many Probate forms are available on the Georgia Probate Forms website.
For the safety and protection of all, the Lowndes County Courthouse is a secured facility. All persons entering the courthouse and all packages, purses, briefcases brought into the courthouse are subject to being searched.