This is the 7th courthouse in the history of Lowndes County. The 1st was a log structure built in Franklinville in 1828. When Lowndesville was named county seat in 1833, the wooden courthouse was moved from Franklinville. The next year, a new courthouse was built in Lowndesville, which in 1837 was renamed Troupville. Lowndes County's 3rd courthouse was built in 1842, and then burned in 1858.
The next year, the legislature moved the county seat from Troupville to Valdosta. Here, the county's 4th courthouse was built -- but it burned in 1869. A new courthouse was built on the city's public square in 1871. This structure was replaced in 1875 by a 2-story red brick courthouse.
Building the Historical Courthouse
After serving 30 years, this structure was torn down in 1904, with the current courthouse completed the following year. The Lowndes County courthouse is listed with the National Registry of Historic places and remains widely acknowledged as one of the most beautiful county courthouses in Georgia.
New Judicial Complex
In June of 2010, occupants of the courthouse house relocated to the new Lowndes County Judicial Complex. The new facility is located just across the square from the Lowndes County Courthouse. The Lowndes County Board of Commissioners continue to work with community representatives to develop a mission and restoration plans for the 1905 structure.